***I am now teaching online via Zoom, due to COVID-19. Please contact me for Zoom lessons!***
Hello! I’m Isla Ratcliff, a 23-year-old Scottish traditional fiddle player, singer, composer, classical violinist, classical pianist, community music practitioner and instrumental teacher with a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction (90% pass).
What do I teach? I teach Scottish traditional fiddle and classical violin.
Who do I teach? I teach individual lessons for children aged 4-16.
Where do I teach? I am based in Glasgow, but I am now teaching exclusively online via Zoom due to COVID-19.
What do I charge? First lesson free. Then £25 for 30 mins; £30 for 45 mins; £35 for 1 hour. These prices reflect the fact that I hold a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction and are in line with Musicians’ Union recommendations.
- ‘My daughter absolutely adores Isla. Isla has so much time and patience for her and makes it so much fun for her. Isla is such a lovely young lady and is very talented at what she does. My daughter always looks forward to her lessons and gets super excited.’ - Danielle, student’s mother
- ‘We always had to push our daughter to practise, but this week she has been asking every day if she can please practise violin.’ - Katy, student’s mother
- ‘My son usually gives up at the first hurdle when something requires patience, discipline and the idea that you need to practise, but he was very taken by Isla and felt really satisfied with himself after the lesson.’ - Lianna, student’s mother
- ‘My daughter is normally very shy and rarely performs, but she got up on stage on her own and was really confident! I am so pleased she is enjoying tunes with you.’ - Sheenagh, student’s mother
What is my teaching methodology? I am a very friendly and encouraging teacher. I tailor each lesson to suit the needs of each individual student. My teaching method is influenced by my personal experience of learning through the Suzuki method, the research that I have conducted on the positive impact of music on our mental wellbeing, and the teaching methodologies that I learned for my DipABRSM Teaching Diploma. I value the importance of praise, fun and hard work. Music is an enjoyable activity!
What is my teaching experience?
1. I currently teach 9 students in Glasgow.
2. I achieved a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction (90% pass) in July 2018.
3. I taught 20 private students in Edinburgh between November 2017 and August 2018.
4. I was Assistant Teacher at Edinburgh Youth Gaitherin for 9-18 year olds in April 2016.
5. I was Volunteer Music Teacher at Tender Talents Magnet School in August-September 2014, a music school for vulnerable children in Kasangati, Uganda. I taught violin and music theory, led choir rehearsals, and founded and conducted Tender Talents Symphony Orchestra. In total, I taught 31 students aged 7-18. By the end of the month, my students were visibly happier and more confident, both in their musical abilities and in their personal lives.
6. I was Assistant Teacher at a Suzuki violin group class for 4-16 year olds in March-October 2012.
What are my qualifications? DipABRSM Teaching Diploma (Distinction), MMus Scottish Music, BA Music (First Class), DipABRSM Violin, Grade 8 Piano (Distinction), AMusTCL Theory and Composition, Grade 8 Theory (Merit), Advanced Higher Music (A), Higher Music (A), Intermediate 2 Music (A).
Where did I receive my musical education? Suzuki violin and piano lessons aged 5-12, City of Edinburgh Music School violin and piano lessons aged 13-17, University of Oxford BA Music 2014-2017, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland MMus Scottish Music 2018-2020
What is my performance experience? I have performed at Celtic Connections, Edinburgh International Fringe Festival, Cambridge Folk Festival, Sidmouth Folkweek and Festival Boult-aux-Bois et Cordes, and I have appeared on BBC Radio Scotland's 'Take The Floor' programme. I am a member of Stramash Cèilidh Band. I am an alumna of the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) and the Edinburgh Youth Orchestra (2012, 2013, 2014). Aged 13, I performed a duet with Nicola Benedetti to 2,900 people in the Usher Hall.
What is my composition experience? I have composed many fiddle tunes, two short film scores, two theatrical scores and a 30-minute cultural-political musical-theatrical production, “A Reawakened Monument of Antiquity” (2019). I have written several songs, one of which was Winner in the Lyrics category and Runner-up in the Performance category of Amnesty International's Power of our Voices competition 2013.
I look forward to teaching you!
Ad ID: 1383489394