My name's Andy Black,
I have a full party / event DJ package for your live events that includes a full PA & lights, and I can cater to whatever your requirements are.
In terms of repertoire, I am there for you and your guests, so in planning your event, I like to first ask you what you love, like, and of course what you don't! I specialise in classy retro party tunes (80's pop, classic rock / pop / indie through the decades, classic funk and soul / 70s disco and hip hop), with the best in modern day classics thrown in. I can also play what have become known as 'Guilty Pleasures' - tunes that are rarely played nowadays, but that everyone loves and are guaranteed to fill the dancefloor. I'm also happy to DJ a more focussed club set. I have the facility to take requests of almost any kind from you or your guests on the night as I have high-bitrate online streaming wired into my laptop setup. In addition, you are welcome to provide me with a list of ‘must-play’ songs for your night, and I will ensure they are incorporated into my set.
The act - The act is me - Andy Black. This is a classy party set, so there is no talking over the songs (unless you want this). I do some beat-matching, and throughout, my emphasis is on fun and dancing. Don't worry though – you won’t hear The Macarena, La Bamba, or Cotton Eyed Joe unless you’d like to request them! I am happy to make announcements if you require them during your event, and you are welcome to use my microphone for speeches yourself, or even for live singing over backing tracks if you need this. I absolutely love DJing and I'm honoured to play a part in the special events and occasions of all my clients.
Equipment - I have a full live PA - very powerful and high quality sound - Alto active speakers 2000W per channel, plus an Alto 1250W active sub-woofer for lovely warm bass / bottom end, and very long speaker / extension leads for two widely-spaced speakers if your venue is large. It's a powerful PA and plenty big enough for large events.I play on laptops, using a Traktor Kontrol S2 unit for cuing / mixing / monitoring.
I also have a pair of wireless microphones for speeches and announcements -ask me about rates for these.
Lighting: I have some LED lights that are sound-triggered, and with different settings for ambient lighting early in the night, and more animated lighting for illuminating the dancefloor later in the evening, plus two moving spot lights that are mounted on my work area.
I also have some uplighters for hire that will wash the walls of your venue with whatever colour you wish, and a fog machine too - ask me about rates for these. These can really enhance the general ambient lighting and mood in your venue.
I can play outdoors, providing there is some cover for the equipment, ask me about generator hire if you need it.
It takes me about 60 minutes to set up and pack down, and I don't require a large decks area, just a high table from which to work.
Repertoire - if you have specific song requests for your event, I'm happy
to incorporate into my set. You can also stipulate a genre or theme for the night if you want (70's disco, Motown, 80's pop / rock / RnB / hip hop etc.). I'm very good at gauging the mood and reading the crowd to keep everyone dancing, and my repertoire is extensive so I'm able to change the flow of the night on the fly to reflect this. I'm also happy to meet or set up a Skype chat to go over logistics and song lists in advance.
Rates / logistics - I can play all over greater London, and I am flexible in terms of set lengths and times - it's best to contact me with an idea of your event / function / party and we can discuss how much it will cost, and exactly what you require, so that you get the best bespoke package possible.
Experience / personal - I have played at many weddings, functions, office parties, birthday parties and other functions across London and beyond. Some of my corporate clients and noteworthy events and venues include:
• An ongoing contract / relationship with the Marriott West India Quay for numerous corporate and private functions
• An ongoing contract / relationship with Home House (private member's club) in London for numerous corporate and private functions
• Regular DJ work at Bunga Bunga in Battersea
• A weekly residency at The O Bar on Wardour Street
• A long-standing residency at the famous Theatre Royal Stratford East
• Archer Street nightclub near Piccadilly Circus (residency)
• The 2017 and 2018 ProSound awards at The Steel Yard, London
• The Big Red Pizza Bus in Deptford
• The William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow
• Deliverance Foods Christmas Party 2014
• Murder Mystery Events at Sherlock Holmes Hotel, Baker Street
• The RAC Club on Pall Mall
• The British Transport Police's Christmas party (three years running)
• Chelsea Football Club events
• New Year’s Eve 2014 for River Thames Boat Hire
• BBC's Bush House, for a private party at the World Service
• The Hospital Club in Covent Garden
• The Round Chapel in Hackney
• The London Transport Museum
• Villandry on Great Portland Street
• Lutyens Restaurant and Club (Terence Conran) on Fleet Street
• Ed Miliband’s Labour Leadership campaign team function in September 2010
and follow-up party for him and his wife in July 2012
• Brendan Barber (TUC General Secretary) – leaving party in central London December 2012
• The Oxo Tower in SE1 (for IK Investment’s anniversary dinner)
• The famous Larmer Tree Gardens in Wiltshire
• The University of East London (UEL)
• Westminster Catholic Cathedral in the courtyard
• Nestle UK headquarters in Maidenhead
• Restaurant gigs including residencies at Smollensky’s on The Strand, and Da Scalzo in Victoria
• The Edge, Croydon (residency)
Testimonials (you are welcome to contact a full list of my past clients):
- birthday party client at The Water Rats, Kings Cross (Graham Parker) September 2017:
'Thank you so much for your great service at the party on Friday night. It was really great and lots of fun. You picked a brilliant set of tunes and really got the party going especially at the end. Would definitely use you again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend you.' Graham Parker
- wedding client at the private member's club Chandos House in London (Jill Stoppard) January 2016:
'Hi Andy, just wanted to write a belated thank you for DJing our wedding! Unfortunately, I was too busy chatting to the guests to hit the dance floor as much as I would have liked but I heard from a few people that you managed to read the crowd well and gave them what they wanted to hear!' Jill Stoppard
- birthday party client (Jill Purle) July 2015:
'Without exception, every single person has raved about you and I've never heard people talk so much about a playlist and how brilliant it was. You understood so well our brief for how we wanted it to go and you really pulled it off. As you know, from the very first song, the dance floor was full all night long. Absolutely fantastic! We will always make you our first port of call for future events and will be recommending you to everyone and anyone who needs a DJ. Thank you so, so much for making it the perfect night to remember.' Jill Purle
- birthday client (Jeremy Hooton), November 2014:
'Hi Andy. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated your help and DJ skills. The music was perfect. Your friendly, calm manner helped me a lot with the stress of putting on the party for my mum's 80th (60 guests at short notice). Everyone was very happy with you and said what a great job you did. Thank you for playing a few extra songs at the end of the night. I would not hesitate to recommend you to all my friends and family. You're a top man with a heart. Give Good value for money and know your stuff.' Jeremy Hooton
- wedding client at The Big Red Pizza Bus, Deptford (Marie Leonard), September 2014:
'I will most definitely be referring you to any friends having big parties in the future. You kept the dance floor sizzling, I could not leave it! Owen and I had such a great night, still buzzing from all the fun.' Marie Leonard
- from a wedding client at Tamesis Dock by Lambeth Bridge on the River Thames (Caroline Arnold), October 2012:
'From the outset, Andy was pleasurable and easy to talk to - organising what music was played on our big day was very simple. When it came to the big day, Andy was perfect. I had requested he played some background music that wasn't on the playlist, and the atmosphere was lovely. When it came to speeches, (the planned ones and impromptu ones!) Andy was on the ball with the mic. And of course, when it came to dancing the night away, Andy's music was spot on. He had stuck to the playlist for the most part, but was clearly judging what the crowd preferred and people were on the dance floor all night. We all had such a fantastic evening - Andy is a brilliant DJ and I would definitely recommend him. Thank you!' Caroline Arnold
- wedding client at the Hammersmith Club (Colin Morgan), April 2014:
'I am more than happy to provide a reference for Andy. He provided a first class service - he is very personable and professional and was willing to play all the music on our list and importantly kept everyone dancing for the whole night. Many of our guests remarked on how good he was and he was willing to program requests (my usual experience is the DJ tends to quietly forget requests). He's also much cheaper than some of the other options available on the net.' Colin Morgan
I'm a yoga teacher by day, and I have been a musician and performer in London for over 15 years. I live in Stoke Newington, and I'm happy to travel to gigs all around London and beyond.
Many thanks - I look forward to hearing from you. Andy.
Ad ID: 1105163049