The Green and Gardening Buyer develops and grows the product range using category expertise, data analysis and market awareness,
The buyer will adapt according to the stores local markets and ensure the range and price points are appropriate for each branch location while ensuring brand consistency.
The product categories would be primarily indoor/outdoor plants and pots, but would also include seasonal sundries, books, gifting and Petersham own branded product where necessary.
- It is imperative that the Buyer adheres to the ethical/sustainable sourcing values of the business
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Opportunity to grow and progress with the brand
- Meals on duty
- Child care vouchers
- Ride to work scheme
- Accountable for driving departmental range sales and profit to exceed budgets, both instore and online, within the Petersham Brand Vision.
- Delivering key Buying activities, processes and procedures: including the efficient administration of product records, orders and supplier correspondence on designated ranges for all Petersham Nurseries stores and online.
- Developing a network of suppliers and a calendar of trade events to ensure consistent delivery and agreed expansion of products that meet Petersham Brand Values.
- Delivering regular newness and press-worthy pieces, supporting press and customer events.
- Producing analytics and reports to review category and range performances against financial objectives; identifying new opportunities and taking corrective action where necessary.
- Contributing to the annual budget and adhere to OTB and aged stock, clearance and write off processes.
- Developing high competitor and market awareness, undertaking regular competitor shopping and reporting.
- Supporting excellent customer service by providing store team training, and product and stock information as required accurately and quickly.
- Working closely with the inventory team and suppliers to ensure timely replenishment on best sellers and continuity lines and arrival of new lines on schedule.
- Prepare yearly reserves with core suppliers
- Organise sufficiently to use online key supplier web shops to place orders for indoor plants
- Closely monitor weekly sales, acting on sales records to plan for weekly plant buying to manage trends and best seller lines.
- Plan regular visits to seek new suppliers for specialist products
- Research products suitable for possible own label branding
- Regular comp shopping to understand what our competitors are offering in tersm of product selection, price points and seasonal changes
- Attend key horticultural shows to help understand public reactions to new products and use this information when making new selections to bring into the business.
Apart from the above Desirables we are looking for the following Essentials:
- Previous Horticultural Buying Experience or a relevant equivalent
- Passion for lifestyle industry, Home or Garden
- Self-training and self-motivational attitude
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Natural rapport building, maintenance and development of customer relationships
- Mindful communication and consistent approachability
- Flair & imagination