Second Chef, small Highland hotel, NW Sutherland, Scotland
3 days left
The Eddrachilles Hotel and Restaurant is on the NW coast of the Scottish Highlands, about 40 miles north of the port of Ullapool or two miles south of the village of Scourie in Sutherland. A traditional former Highland manse, the hotel started trading in the late 1970s and the current owners purchased it in March 2016. Our guests are discerning, enjoying the beautiful, tranquil setting. Check us on Trip Advisor: our guests really appreciate good food and our emerging reputation for a “taste of the north”.
We are looking for a Second Chef for our 2018 season, starting April and working through until end October or early November. It’s a 10 bedroom hotel and the restaurant serves breakfast (max 20 covers) and dinner (max 30 covers) afternoon teas and the occasional lunch for residents and a small number of external dinner guests.
Our approach is to provide guests with a “taste of the north”, celebrating simple honest food and enhancing it with modern techniques. We use the local larder where possible, prioritising suppliers from within the NW Highlands Geopark first and foremost. Lobsters, langoustines, crabs are purchased from boats moored at the bottom of the hotel gardens. Local crofters supply pork or hogget, we will forage sea vegetables, mushrooms and plants, and we take wild game in season from surrounding estates.
Our food is beautifully presented on Highland Stoneware crockery made in Lochinver. Although the kitchen team is small and therefore busy, the emphasis is on quality rather than producing high numbers of covers.
The terms on offer:
• Pay depends on experience but will be no less than £13.50 per hour (gross) + a share of all tips via a tronc system for all employees (NOT the owners). Holiday pay is also provided and can be taken during the season or at the end.
• There is some flexibility in the hours/rota to be worked. You would be responsible for 5-6 cooked-to-order breakfast services each week and up to 2 dinner services where you would be lead/solo chef. The rest (making it up to about 42 hours per week) would be in prep or supporting dinner service, However, the week wouldn't routinely be split shifts and we are happy to work with 5 or 6 days per week working as suits the successful candidate.
• An interesting and supportive professional opportunity. You’ll work on every station and get the opportunity to expand your skills. Our Head Chef (returning member of staff) is genuinely fun to work with and learn from, e.g. from Nordic baking to wild foraging to sous vide. Our table d’hôte menu has an approximate 5 day cycle and evolves with the seasons plus specials.
• There is a ʻlive-inʼ accommodation and meals for which there is a very reasonable £10 per week charge. There is also use of a shared staff car on a costs basis (you need a full clean driving licence)
What we are looking for:
- An experienced and talented CDP as a minimum or someone who has worked as a second chef in a small kitchen. This isn’t production cooking but a professional chef-led kitchen.
- You need to have experience of preparing fresh fish, undertake basic butchery or turn your hand to baking.
- A good understanding of sous vide. Guidance and instruction can be given on specifics, of course.
- A chef who is willing and ready to step up and take sole charge of the kitchen from time to time but who would equally be content to work under the direction of the head chef.
- Someone who has the knowledge and discipline to comply consistently with food safety procedures.
- Someone with great attention to detail and a genuine desire to serve great dishes that delight our diners.
- A team player. Most of our staff will be back for their second or more season. To fit in you need to be a self-starter (they are all excellent on punctuality), have good stamina and resilience, and be willing to muck in, e.g. with washing dishes.
- A grown up professional attitude. You need to have the maturity both to give and take constructive criticism as we all constantly strive to improve the quality of the guest experience. And you should have a sense of humour too.
If you join the team at Eddrachilles you will be living in one of the most remote areas in the UK. Working for a season in the Highland wilderness is not for everyone. There is limited internet connectivity at the hotel (it’s satellite, slow and intermittent); mobile phone signals are very weak or non existent in the hotel and grounds, and public transport is limited. The nearest pub/café to the hotel is 2 miles away with steep hills in between. However, if you love the outdoors it’s a fantastic place to be. It’s also ideal if you really want to save your earnings.
Eddrachilles Hotel has just been accredited by the Living Wage Foundation.
All applicants must be entitled to work in the UK, and be fluent in English.
To apply, please email you c.v. with a cover note explaining why you are interested in working in this role at the Eddrachilles. Please also include the names and contact details of two referees who can be contacted now. One of the referees should be a recent employer.
Apply for Second Chef, small Highland hotel, NW Sutherland, Scotland
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly