Security & Cleaning Staff (Touring) – In the Night Garden Live
Minor Entertainment was created in 2009 to create spectacular family theatre events in unique spaces. Over the last eight years our first production, In the Night Garden Live (ItNGL), has toured across the UK in a purpose-built inflatable theatre and has been seen by over 900,000 people. In 2018, ItNGL tours again to 4 venues in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
ItNGL tours in an inflatable showdome and you will take responsibility for the keeping the event site and showdome secure at each of our venues. In addition to your security role, you will also take responsibility for keeping the site clean on a daily rota with the rest of the security team. During the build and load-out at each venue you’ll monitor and control access to the site, patrolling regularly. During the performance period at each venue your main security responsibility will be patrolling the site overnight and on non-performance days. Your role will not be public facing and you will not be on shift whilst the show is open to the public. You will report to the Venue Manager.
Dates and hours
• Contract dates would be Monday 7 May to Wednesday 22 August 2018.
• You’ll spend approximately four weeks weeks based at each venue the tour visits.
Current tour dates are as follows:
• The O2, London (Performance dates: Thu 24 May – Sat 9 June)
• Old Deer Park, Richmond (Performance dates: Sat 16 June – Sun 1 July)
• Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham (Performance dates: Sat 7 July – Sun 22 July)
• The Trafford Centre, Manchester (Performance dates: Sat 28 July – Sun 19 August)
Your shift pattern will vary. During the build and load-out at each venue security will be required on a 24-hour basis split into day shifts and night shifts. During the performance period at each venue there will only be one day shift per week (on the day where there aren’t any shows) with all remaining shifts being overnight. You will have a minimum of two days off every fortnight.
You do not need to hold a current licence with the Security Industry Authority (SIA) or have experience working as a security guard. We will pay the cost for you to attend a 5-day training course as a door supervisor and we will also pay your licence application costs for an SIA licence, which you’ll be able to use to work as a door supervisor or security guard and will be valid for three years.
You’re switched on, proactive and you work hard. You’re resilient and you’re a brilliant person to have in a team. You’re attentive to detail. You believe that, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well. You’ll ideally, but not essentially, have some experience working in temporary events or temporary venues. You’re flexible and willing to ‘muck in’, even if you feel something isn’t strictly your job. You’ll deal with conflicting demands in the right order and with a good sense of humour. You don’t mind getting your hands dirty.
• You’ll take responsibility for making sure that the event site is secure at all times.
• Along with the rest of the security team you will take responsibility for daily cleaning of the site
as directed by the Venue Manager, including but not limited to litter picking, the cleaning of floors in public areas, cleaning the toilet units including WCs, cleaning the backstage office, greenroom and welfare facilities.
• During the build and load-out at each venue you will control access to and from the site by crew, contractors and suppliers, making sure that no unauthorised vehicles or people are able to access the site.
• During every shift you’ll patrol the entire site regularly to ensure that it is secure and show a security presence at all times.
• You will complete security report sheets at the end of every shift.
• You will monitor site CCTV ensuring that coverage is maintained throughout our tenancy onsite.
• You will report any security issues to the onsite management team at the earliest possible
• You will take appropriate action on discovering intruders to the site or on noticing suspicious
behavior, always with appropriate consideration for personal and public safety.
• You will unlock the venue every morning and lock it up every evening.
• You will be the first port of call for any site issues overnight when the rest of the team are offsite,
so you will be briefed on noticing basic issues with the generator, power distribution and the inflatable venue and you will be responsible for alerting the appropriate member of the team out of hours if necessary.
• You’ll liaise and coordinate with existing venue security teams as require (at The O2 and intu Trafford Centre, specifically)
• You’ll take a flexible approach to any other reasonable duties that may be required of you during the contract.
Fee and expenses
The salary range for this role is £450-£500 per week depending on experience (equivalent to an annual salary of £23,400-£26,000 pro-rata), dependent on experience.
Ideally you will be based in London or you will have somewhere you can stay when you’re working at The O2 and in Richmond. When you are working in Birmingham or Manchester we’ll provide one standard, off-peak return rail ticket from the station nearest to your home address to each venue. We are also able to provide onsite own-room accommodation in portable cabins in both Birmingham or Manchester.
Holiday dates will be designated throughout the tour in line with statutory entitlements. On holiday days you’ll be paid in line with your average earnings throughout the tour.
How to apply
Please email a covering letter (no more than 500 words please) and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Security Guard application” in the subject line.
In your covering letter please explain:
1) Why you want to work in our touring inflatable theatre;
2) Why you’re the person we should hire to keep our site and property secure;
3) How you’ll manage this role’s demands, whilst keeping a smile on your face.
We will be holding interviews on the afternoon 16th February in London Bridge. If the job is still advertised on our website www.minorentertainment.com we are still open to applications.