Support Worker - Bargoed
SALARY: £10.00 PER HOUR
HOURS: 10 HOURS PER WEEK
RESPONSIBLE TO: EMPLOYER/CLIENT
REPORTING TO: EMPLOYER AND CASE MANAGER
CLOSING DATE: MONDAY 5TH MARCH 2018 5PM
INTERVIEW DATE: FRIDAY 16TH MARCH 2018
To provide support and facilitate the independence of a 20-year-old man with an acquired brain injury with some physical, cognitive and emotional difficulties.
The support worker will assist the client to engage in acts of daily living; enable the client to use local amenities such as the gym, shops and leisure facilities and support the client to attend community and social events.
The support worker will also work with independent therapists in enabling the client to participate in effective neuro rehabilitation.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY DUTIES
- To ensure consistency of approach with the client in accordance with advised approaches to care and any emerging therapy aims.
- To liaise with and support the family as required.
- To work as part of a team and communicate appropriately with fellow team members.
- To follow the Service User Plan as documented for the client.
- To ensure opportunity is given to participate in activities as identified by client / others while achieving a balance between work and rest for the client.
- To assist in all therapeutic activities as prescribed by and with supervision of MDT.
- To be aware of any significant changes in the client’s health, functioning or behaviour, and inform the client’s family, case manager and team leader as appropriate.
- To encourage the client’s independence as far as possible.
- To be aware of the client’s vulnerability and take precautions to protect it.
- To be aware of the cognitive problems and endeavour to cater for these at all times.
- To respect confidentiality at all times.
- To be aware of the client’s limitations and strengths.
- Within reason, to adapt support according to changing needs, as directed.
- To be trained in all relevant skills to undertake role, as identified by the case manager in liaison with other professionals involved in delivery of support for client.
- To adhere to guidelines when taking the client out his vehicle.
- To accompany the client to appointments as required.
- To be answerable to the client in the first instance and clinically supervised by the case manager.
- To be aware of the problems that the client may have due to his brain injury.
- Attend relevant training days and sessions when the opportunity arises.
- Attend staff meetings as requested.
- To complete relevant documentation as instructed.
- To carry out domestic chores as appropriate.
- Keep your own record of hours worked on the time sheet
- Provide feedback to the case manager and family on progress/problems.
- To be aware of the house rules, policies and procedures.
- To organise and manage own time according to delegated workload.
- NVQ Level 2 (or equivalent) in Care
- Recent training in first aid and health & safety
- Good understanding of the personal needs of a client with cognitive and behavioural difficulties.
- Ability to follow instructions / guidance.
- Experience of learning / cognitive / behavioural support
- Experience of working with ABI.
- Experience of liaising with professionals
- Experience of working with families
- You must be patient, warm and caring
- You must be reliable and trustworthy
- You must be flexible
- You must be able to work independently and use own initiative
- Ability to learn and interested in learning new skills.
- Confidentiality – discreet
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written.
- Ability to build up rapport with client, family and others
- Ability to work as part of a team and within boundaries.
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain accurate and confidential records.
- Be able to maintain a consistent approach.
- Able to take and give constructive criticism.
- Show consideration to others, including the family.
- Be non-judgmental.
- Full driving license and use of a car
Full training, supervision and support will be provided as required.
This role is subject to an Enhanced level DBS check.
Click the 'Apply' button below to submit a CV and cover letter