Seasonal Hostel Assistant - Lochranza Youth Hostel
Position: Seasonal Hostel Assistant
Location: Lochranza Youth Hostel, Lochranza, Isle of Arran, KA27 8HL
Hours per week: 40 hours per week
Salary: £7.50 per hour
Contract: Fixed Term from 30/Mar/18 until 30/Sep/18
Accommodation: This is a live-in position. (Note there will be a small weekly charge).
We are currently seeking self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals with commitment to provide an excellent customer service to join our team at our Lochranza Youth Hostel which is situated in the north of the Isle of Arran in a beautiful lochside village.
You will be part of our professional and dedicated team and will ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
The main responsibility of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
- Full reception duties including check-in/out guests, cash handling, handling customer enquiries
- Cleaning rooms and public area and housekeeping including bed making and laundry
- Basic catering including basic food preparation, serving and washing up
- Assisting the Hostel Manager in the day to day running of the Youth Hostel.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Worked successfully in a customer facing role, preferably in similar hospitality surroundings
- Gained experience in catering, reception, cash handling, will be IT literate
- Keen attention to details.
- Ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Good understanding of food and hygiene practice.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- Lochranza Youth Hostel operates with a small close knit team and requires successful candidates to live and work closely with colleagues. It is therefore essential that all members are capable and willing to assist each other and maintain team morale to ensure a positive environment for guest experience.
- The role involves physical activities such as bed making on upper and lower bunk beds, including stripping and turning beds on a daily basis.
- The post holder will have flexibility to work in order to support the Youth Hostel including working on weekends and undertaking night shifts duties as and when required, in addition to covering other hostels within Argyll Group.
- A successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory references and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on SYHA and to obtain job description and application form, please visit www.syha.org.uk. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements, then please forward your application form with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Natalia Mencnerova, c/o Lochranza Youth Hostel, Isle of Allan, KA27 8HL.
Closing Date: 12/Feb/18
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.