HANDYMAN - idyllic island location, great team, family-run hotel, live-in
The Isle of Jura is a beautiful location to spend a summer, especially if you enjoy outdoor pursuits such as walking, cycling and fishing. Only 200 people live here (along with 6000 red deer) but the sense of community is strong and those spending a season here quickly find themselves part of the fabric of the island.
The Jura Hotel is the only hotel on the island and is also home to the island's only pub. While the island is a peaceful, tranquil retreat for its visitors, the hotel gets very busy in the summer and our 25-strong team works hard to feed and water tourists, locals and sailors who moor in the bay.
We are looking for a handyman to carry out specific duties and also to deal with the many unplanned maintenance requirements that crop up in our busy hotel.
- Ordering maintenance supplies
- Gardening around the hotel grounds and staff accommodation & cutting the grass on the field (using the ride-on mower where appropriate)
- Keeping outside areas tidy
- Receiving and storing deliveries including for the kitchen and pub
- Covering the KP’s days off – washing up in the kitchen & doing basic food prep
- Taking glass waste to the nearby recycling point
- Operating the biomass boiler and splitting logs for the burner
- Painting the hotel interior
- Cleaning and maintaining equipment including in the kitchen
- Setting up for events
- Stewarding at events such as Music Festival
- Possible bar work in winter (if you wish for a permanent position)
- Dealing with unplanned maintenance requirements eg breakages, leaks and other damages
You must be full of energy, have a can-do attitude and be happiest when busy and helping others. You must have some joinery experience – for example be able to put up a shelf safety, neatly and effectively – be proficient at painting interiors and have maintenance experience. A basic working knowledge of plumbing is advantageous.
Fluent English, EU drivers licence, an NI number and UK bank account are essential (although the latter two can be arranged when you’re here).
Low-cost accommodation is provided in the staff quarters of the hotel.
We also have accommodation for couples so if you have a partner interested in bar/waiting, KP, commis chef or housekeeping, they might wish to apply too. With all applications please include: photo; potential start / finish dates; CV.