I am a 28 year old physically disabled woman. I live independently in North London and use an electric wheelchair to get around. I work in the health sector and lead an active life outside of work. I am looking for 1 female personal care assistant to assist my independence. I have a vacancy in my team of 3 staff. I am also looking for female personal care assistants who are available for bank work and emergency cover.
The role involves working a 1 week on, 2 weeks off shift rotation. When on duty you will live in my house and be available to support me 24 hours a day for a full week including during the night, you will then have 2 weeks off. During your 2 weeks off accommodation will not be provided. Whilst on duty you will have your own room.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Support with personal care including using the loo, bathing, washing hair etc
- All domestic tasks, keeping my house clean and tidy, cooking
- Shopping and running errands
- Physical assistance at work
- Accompanying to social activities when required
- Assistance with exercising such as yoga and swimming
- Physical tasks in relation to my social activities e.g. cooking for friends
- The role will take place wherever the employer is e.g. if I am travelling, on holiday, at a work conference, you will be required to work at alternative locations
- Driving my car if required (if you have a valid driving licence)
- Manual handling when required e.g. lifting me at times
- Common sense
- A respectful and considerate attitude
- Hard-working and energetic
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to different scenarios and unexpected, spontaneous situations
- Respect for life choices that may not be the same as your own
- Clean and tidy person
- Physically able to provide physical support to a disabled person
- English speaker
- Ability to navigate London
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow complex instructions accurately
- Working and reliable mobile phone that you can use to be contacted whilst at work
- Experience and ability to look after Afro hair
- An understanding of the social model of disability (you do not have to be an expert but some awareness is beneficial)
- Previous experience as a Personal Assistant
- Lives in London
- Valid, clean driving license
Although you will be on duty at all times during your shift, this role would suit somebody who can occupy themselves for periods of time where you are on call.
The job will vary according to what I am doing, but essentially the core tasks of helping me with physical activities will remain the same. I am looking for someone who can commit to the role for at least a year.
Daytime hours will be paid at £9.60 (16 hours per day) and an overnight payment of £60 will also be made. PAYE.
Therefore, you will be paid £213.60 per 24 hour period before tax.
Permission to work in the UK and recent references are essential to this post. This job is subject to DBS checks. There will be an initial trial period and a 6 month probation.
To apply please send your CV and a short covering letter telling me about yourself, any relevant experience and how you meet the requirements of the role. Please state if you are applying for the full-time or bank role.
Deadline: Midnight on Monday 5th February 2018
Interviews will be held on: Thursday 8th and Sunday 11th February 2018 (You will only be required to attend one of these dates)