DIY Tile Coasters and Wall DécorBy Jade Jones
I have always had a passion for upcycling. Taking something old and unloved and transforming it into something beautiful. I love the endless possibilities, I could transform anything as small as a tile to something as big as my imagination allows. To me, upcycling means I get to create a completely unique piece that emulates my style and personality. It’s only recently that I have discovered the Gumtree Upcycling Hub and #upcyclerevolution. I found it an amazing place to gain inspiration for my own home decor projects, in an environmentally friendly way without breaking the bank. Two points that are very important to me. Instead of a perfectly good item being tossed in a tip, I can give it a purpose and inject new life into it.
In this video, I show you how to transform a basic tile from Gumtree into not only a set of coasters to showcase your memories but also into vintage inspired wall decor too.
For this project, you will need:
- 4 “ X 4” tiles
- Modge Podge
- Image of choice
- Picture hooks
- White paint
- Paint brush
- Step One: Create and measure out desired image to fit tile.
- Step Two: Coat tile in modge podge and stick down image, ensuring all sides and corners are secure.
- Step Three: Once dry coat image with modge podge. For a glossy effect apply multiple coats.
- Step Four: This is optional, but I feel it gives the piece a more polished look. Coat the sides of the tile in white paint.
- Step five: Measure out the size of your tile on the felt, mark it and cut out.
- Step Six: Coat back of tile in modge podge and stick down felt.
- Step Seven: Once dry trim off any excess felt and ensure all sides are secure.
- Step Eight: Repeat steps for other three coasters.
- Step Nine: Finish by tying all four tiles together with twine.
- Step One: Repeat steps one to four.
- Step Two: Instead of fixing felt to back, fix picture hook on back top centre of tile using strong glue.